Angelika Niescier (* 1970 in Szczecin, Poland) is a German jazz musician (soprano and alto saxophone, composition) and bandleader of Polish origin.
Angelika Niescier is one of the outstanding musicians who have been redefining the contours of the European jazz scene for some time - an artist on a mission, with boundless energy, a rich palette of colors and virtuoso technique. Born in Poland, she now lives in Cologne and studied at the Folkwang Hochschule in Essen. As a bandleader and composer, she has received some of the most prestigious awards such as the Albert Mangelsdorff Prize, the Echo Jazz, twice the Quarterly Prize of the German Record Critics and was the first "Improviser in Residence " in Moers (Germany), as well as residencies in Kuala Lumpur, Mexico City and Tarabya (Turkey). She also works/s for radio and television stations such as Bayrischer Rundfunk, WDR, radio bremen, SWR and HR as well as RBB.
As an internationally acclaimed musician, she has toured countless countries, performing her music at renowned festivals such as the Winter Jazzfest New York, unerhört! Zurich Jazz Festival, Vancouver International Jazz Festival, Jazzfestival Berlin, Jazzfestival Molde, Jazzfestival Saalfelden, Elbphilharmonie, Philharmonie Berlin and Philharmonie Essen. She represents her country musically in various settings around the world.
She works/s with some of the big names of the international music scene such as Joachim Kühn, Tyshawn Sorey, Kris Davis, Gerry Hemingway, Nasheet Waits, Jim Black, Sylvie Courvoisier, Ralph Alessi, Ernie Watts, IIro Rantala, Gerald Cleaver to name a few.
Angelika Niescier has an unbridled desire for artistic development and exchange that makes her musical journey rich in inspiring encounters and leads to works for and collaborations with dance, orchestra and choir, film and theater.
Angelika Niescier/ Alexander Hawkins - Soul in Plain Sight
Angelika Niesicer - Alto Saxophone
Alexander Hawkins - Piano
When Alexander Hawkins played at the Jazzfest Berlin in a duo with the American trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith, he met the saxophonist Angelika Niescier. Niescier was playing at the festival with her New York Trio with bassist Christopher Tordini and drummer Tyshawn Sorey ("The Berlin Concert", Intakt CD 305). Niescier has also been honored in Berlin with the Albert Mangelsdorff Prize, Germany's most prestigious jazz award.
Hawkins is fascinated by Niescier's saxophone playing, and Niescier in turn is ardent about Hawkins' music. They stand on the same ground – both have their roots in jazz, and both love the jazz avant-garde of Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor. Two technically skilled instrumentalists with sparkling temperament, drive and joy in experimentation.
After several duo concerts, the studio album by Niescier and Hawkins, recorded at the Loft in Cologne, is now available. The American jazz critic Stephanie Jones writes in the liner notes: "Soul in Plain Sight reveals layers of mutual navigation. Angelika Niescier and Alexander Hawkins court similarities and delight in differences … Buoying and challenging each other's inclinations, the artists navigate shared sound with compassion and nuance."
- 2021 - Angelika Niescier/ Alexander Hawkins „ Soul in Plain Sight“ (intakt records)
- 2019 - Angelika Niescier/ Christopher Tordini/ Gerald Cleaver feat. Jonathan Finlayson „New York TRIO“ (intakt records)
- 2019 - Jazz at Berlin Philharmonic IX, Pannonica, ACT Music
- 2018 - Angelika Niescier/ Christopher Tordini/ Tyshawn Sorey „THE BERLIN CONCERT“ (intakt records)
- 2017 - Denman Maroney/ James Ilgenfritz/ Angelika Niescier/ Andrew Drury- MiND GAMeS „Ephemera Obscura“ (cleanfeed records)
- 2016 - Ralph Alessi/ Angelika Niescier/ Florian Weber/ Chris Tordini/ Tyshawn Sorey- NYC FIVE (intakt records)
- 2015 - NOW Angelika Niescier / Simone Zanchini / Stefano Senni (blue pearls music)
- 2012 - MiND GAMeS Denman Maroney / James Ilgenfritz / Angelika Niescier / Andrew Drury - (OutNow- Recordings)
- 2011 - Quite Simply Angelika Niescier, Thomas Morgan, Tyshawn Sorey (ENJA RECORDS)
- 2009 - Angelika Niescier – sublim III (ENJA RECORDS)
- 2008 - Edition Filmmusik: Angelika Niescier, Komponiert in Deutschland 08 (normal records 2008)
- 2007 - The Poetry Of Rhythm Duo Niescier / Nendza feat kaj:kaj, das Streichquartett (Jazzsick)
- 2004 - Angelika Niescier - sublim II (shaa - music)
- 2003 - Hellweg Suite Claudia Anthes, (musicom)
- 2002 - Angelika Niescier – sublim (shaamusic)
- 2001 - CD-ROM "Der köstliche Blick- Künstlerinnen, ein virtueller Streifzug durch NRW im 20. Jahrhundert" Horizontal Stephan Meinberg, Vitamine (jazzhausmusik)
- 2000 - Holzlinienspiel Duo Niescier / Nendza (crecyclemusic)
Write a comment